Hola From Tenerife

Subscribe to our free newsletter to get an (ir)regular ray of Tenerife sunshine in your inbox. Just enter your email address below.

Delivered by FeedBurner

Close

Saturday, November 20, 2021

Canary Islands received more than 997,000 international passengers in October, up 580%

Arrivals board Carlos Fernández Some rights reserved

The Canary Islands received a total of 997,517 passengers from international airports in October, 580% more than in the same month last year although it is 11.2% less than in October 2019, before the pandemic, according to data from Turespaña.

So far this year, the accumulated arrival is 3,370,505 passengers, 3.3% less than in the same period last year and still 68.9% below the figures for the first ten months of 2019.

In total, Spain received 5.5 million passengers from international airports in October, the best record since the beginning of the crisis caused by the Covid pandemic.

The Minister of Industry, Tourism and Trade, Reyes Maroto, recalled that today the airlines have scheduled to fly to Spain between November and January with more than 90% of the seats as in the same period of 2019, "a sign of confidence that Spain, as a destination, is managing to generate".

"At least since 2000, October was a month with less passenger movement than September. That this year the trend is broken shows that the recovery continues to advance gradually, driven by the success of the vaccination process in Spain and a management of the pandemic that places us as one of the safest countries in the world and with the least restrictions in force. It is clear that when travel is facilitated, as is the case of the disappearance of the British traffic light system, the demand responds", has added.

The October data reflect for the first time the full recovery of a priority market for Spain such as the Danish. Passengers from Denmark, 145,818, increased by 2.3% compared to the same month in 2019, when there was no pandemic.

In addition, the Netherlands, with 399,800 passengers, recovers 98%; Belgium, with 235,646, is already at 84%; Switzerland, with 247,125, 83%, and Germany, with 1,040,000 passengers, 77%.

The United Kingdom was the top issuing country in October, with 1,107,954 passengers, 20% of the total, which mainly benefited the Canary Islands and the Balearic Islands.

It is followed by Germany (18.8% of the total), with more than a million passengers who went mainly to the Balearic Islands; France, with 448,329 travelers, is the third issuer, representing 8.1% of the total. Passengers from France came mainly to Madrid, Catalonia and the Balearic Islands. On the other hand, 435,516 people arrived from Italian airports (7.9% of the total), who went mainly to Catalonia and Madrid.

MADRID, MAIN DESTINATION

The Community of Madrid was the main destination for international passengers, with a 18.9% share, followed by the Balearic Islands (18.6%) and the Canary Islands (18%).

Comparing the data with October 2019, in the absence of a pandemic, the Canary Islands have already recovered 89% of international arrivals; The Balearic Islands, 79%; Andalusia, 75%, and the Valencian Community, 74%.

By airports, Madrid Barajas led the arrival of international passengers (18.9% of the total), followed by Barcelona (15.5%) and Palma de Mallorca (14.6%).

Of the total of 5,528,624 international passengers arriving in Spain in October, 59.1% flew on low-cost airlines, while the remaining 40.9% opted for traditional airlines.

Booking.com