Hola From Tenerife

Subscribe to our free newsletter to get an (ir)regular ray of Tenerife sunshine in your inbox. Just enter your email address below.

Delivered by FeedBurner

Close

COVID-19 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC

Festivals in Tenerife and other large gatherings are still not able to be held with social distancing and other restrictions still in force. Events listed here, therefore, are subject to cancellation or change without notice. Such circumstances are beyond our control.

Please like and follow our facebook page for more updates >>

Tuesday, March 02, 2021

Corporation of the Island Council of Tenerife

Cabildo Building in Santa Cruz de Tenerife Koppchen, CC BY 3.0

The Corporación del Cabildo Insular de Tenerife (Corporation of the Island Council of Tenerife), simply known as the Cabildo de Tenerife, is the governing body of the island of Tenerife. Constituted on March 16, 1913 in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, in a session held at its Town Hall, where the first Corporation was also elected. The Tenerife Council, like the other councils of the Canary Islands, has a series of its own powers established in the Statute of Autonomy of the Canary Islands as well as a series of powers delegated to the other territorial administration bodies. It is a governmental and administrative form typical of the Canary Islands, which in addition to the functions of the island government provides services and exercises the competences of the Autonomous Community of the Canary Islands. 

In 1957, it was agreed between the Island Council of Tenerife and the Brotherhood of La Candelaria de Sevilla, since the Virgen de la Candelaria is venerated as the patron of this brotherhood in this Andalusian city, as it is in Tenerife as patron of the Canary Islands, as the patron of the Corporation of the Island Council of Tenerife.

Koppchen, CC BY-SA 3.0
Its current headquarters alongside the Plaza de España, designed by the architect José Enrique Marrero Regalado, houses departments of the Cabildo which also has other decentralized offices in various locations and with different headquarters in other parts of the metropolitan area. This building stands out for its large tower crowned by a clock, one of the most representative symbols of the city of Santa Cruz de Tenerife. Inside there is a very attractive art collection, which includes the murals that completely adorn the Noble Hall popularly called the "Sistine Chapel of the Canary Islands", with paintings made in 1960 by the painter José Aguiar, declared a Site of Interest Cultural de Canarias (BIC) in November 2011.

At present the Cabildo is the reference entity of the island, its authentic insular government.


Cabildo de Tenerife: Plaza de España, s/n, 38003 Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain. Phone: +34 901 50 19 01 and +34 922 23 95 00. Official website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

No comments: